Thursday, January 15, 2009

Trust me, it is not will power!



Yeah it is Thursday! Does not mean only one more day of work for me. It just means I get to come home to lots of good shows on the DVR. I can not wait to watch the Office. It is another cold, freezing cold day here. At least the sun is out. That helps.

I have talked to quite a few people lately that say, "I do not know how you did it, you must have the best will power ever." Here is the most honest thing that I am ever going to say. It is not will power! If you open up a box of cereal or a bag of peanut butter cups and I do not have a eating plan for the day I will eat the items above without thought. But, if I have a plan I can allow myself some of the food if I feel it will fit into my plan. More than likely I will turn it down because I have everything planned that I will eat for the entire day. By having this relationship with food allows me to truly be free. I know that for most people this will not work. They may feel like this is too constraining. For me though this allows me to spend my time without thinking about food. I do not have to spend hours thinking about when I will eat next, what I will eat next. Now I know around what time I will eat and what I will eat. This allows me to say if I am full then that is all right, I do not have to finish everything on my plate. On the other hand if I am hungry then I can eat my snack if I am truly hungry. More likely I will wait until my normal snack time, because I know that the food will be there waiting for me.

Here is another honest thing, I am not perfect. More often than not this works for me, but there are days where I eat more or less. My mantra is that no one is perfect. I will take each day at a time and if the day is very difficult I will take it one hour at a time. The truth is you can not live more than one hour at a time anyways, so why rush it?

Food for the day: carb check bagel, cream cheese, and SF jam
Lunch: chicken stir fry pictured above. Instead of rice I used quinoa as the grain. (Same veggie blend from Whole Foods as last time) It was actually really good. I think that it is more of a texture thing rather than a taste thing.
Snack: new clif bar and cheese
Dinner: more stir fry, yogurt, and a cookie
Snack: orange

I am off to work. This is my mid-week hump. Wishing that it was the last day for me, oh well. Hopefully it will not be as cold when I leave work tonight. I can hope!

No comments: